Friday, November 08, 2013

My Nightly Battle

For the past few months, my evenings are similar regardless if it is during the week or the weekend. With the exception of this past weekend when I was out of town, the twice a month trivia nights and the monthly soccer games I work as a referee, I have the same routine.

1. Put my son to bed between 8:15 and 8:45.

2. Feed Ziggy.

3. Gather the trash and recycling/clean the litter box/take out the trash. (Twice a week)

4. Sit on the couch for some valuable me time consisting of watching TV/shows on the DVR and spending time on the computer including writing these amazing blog posts.

However, I end up falling asleep on the couch probably 75% of the time. Actually, that number may be low. Most nights, I'll wake up with Jimmy Kimmel, Nightline or Everybody Loves Raymond on TV. It used to be worse when I'd wake up to Rules of Engagement, so I'd like to thank the DC-area ABC affiliate, WJLA, for stopping to air that show in syndication. It's at this point that I should just go straight from the couch to my bed but some nights I stay up cashing in my bad luck. Some nights I call it a draw. No that's not right. Some nights I decide that I haven't finished writing my blog post or that I need to study the fantasy football waiver wire. There's always something I could have missed on Facebook or Twitter or I need to find out if the Pittsburgh Penguins won. (On Wednesday night I fell asleep near the end of 2nd period of the Penguins-Rangers game. When I woke up, the game was over.)


Therefore, I end up sleeping on the couch from anywhere between 1-3 hours, being awake for 30-90 minutes (or more on weekends since I can "sleep in" the following morning) and then sleeping in my bed for about 4-6 hours. This can't be good, right? This cycle must be contributing to my constant tiredness every night.


* I have no idea why Zach Galifianakis is associated with this quote.

No comments: