Monday, August 26, 2013

Please Cancel Oh Sit (Ted Marshall Open)

I may have mentioned once or twice that I participate in the Ted Marshall Open Television Death Pool. I won the pool in 2011 and wrote that it was “one of the greatest achievements of my life.” I’m primed to win the Ted Marshall Open for the second time in three years which would silence my critics and prove that 2011 wasn’t a fluke. There’s only one thing keeping me from immortality: the CW Network and its show Oh Sit.


We’re now in late-August, and the networks set their Fall 2013 line-ups months ago. However, CW still hasn’t made a decision about the status of Oh Sit. So why do I care about Oh Sit? It’s very simple. If Oh Sit does not make it to the next season, I win. If Oh Sit makes it to the next season, I don’t win. Therefore, let me make my case to CW as to why they should cancel this show.

If you’re not familiar with Oh Sit, you’re not alone. From the CW’s website, “OH SIT! is a fun, high-stakes, high-octane musical chairs competition” hosted by Jamie Kennedy. Yes, a musical chairs competition. Anyway, according to Deadline Hollywood, Oh Sit was the 149th ranked show of the 2012-2013 season out of 152 shows. Yes, most if not all of the lowest ranked shows air on CW, but 149th is not good.

While the ratings are horrible, to me, Oh Sit’s Twitter following is the biggest reason why this show should be cancelled. As of August 24th, Oh Sit has 1,005 followers. This is pathetic for a nationally televised show. I’m sure that there are local cable access shows with more followers. As a comparison, ABC’s cancelled Bet On Your Baby which hasn’t had a Tweet since June 3rd has approximately 1,750 followers. CW’s Cult which finished 148th in the rankings and hasn’t had a Tweet since early April has 2,323 followers. CW shows that haven’t even premiered yet like The Reign (2,869) and The Tomorrow People (4,612) even have significantly more followers than Oh Sit.

So why is CW even considering keeping Oh Sit? I’m sure it doesn’t cost much to produce (it’s musical chairs!), but maybe the bigger reason is Jamie Kennedy. Does the network want to keep him happy since perhaps Kennedy is huge for the CW’s audience? I don’t see it though. Kennedy is 43 years old and peaked with the Scream films in late 90s. Actually, he probably peaked by his role on the TV show, Ghost Whisperer which resulted in him dating the show’s star, Jennifer Love Hewitt. Is Kennedy really big among CW’s target audience of teenagers and folks in their early 20s?


While we’re all anxiously awaiting CW’s decision to determine the outcomes of the 2012-2013 season, the 2013-2014 Ted Marshall Open contest is now open. Up until September 8th, pick ten shows that you fell will not air the following season. Please let me know if you enter, and we can track the results as networks cancel shows throughout the season.

No comments: