Monday, August 01, 2011

What Happened to Debbie Gibson?

It seems like only days ago when I wrote about my excitement of the return of Debbie Gibson. After seeing her performance on Friday's Good Morning America, I'm not as enthusiastic. Take a look.




Let's start with the positive. Debbie really looks great. It was also nice of her to give Right Said Fred some work. However, Debbie doesn't sound nearly as good as she did 20 years ago. In addition, why exactly is she rapping in the middle of Only in My Dreams? I don't get it. This performance reminded me of Sophie B. Hawkins on the underrated and underappreciated NBC show Hit Me Baby One More Time. (I have no idea why I can remember parts of this show but I can't remember what I ate for dinner last night.) Hawkins starts off fine but quickly started losing her breath. In response, she decides to turn on the sex appeal by taking off her shirt and waving it over her head. Through the power of YouTube, I found the video. (It is suitable for work unless your HR department frowns upon Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover. My description makes it sound much more risqué than it is.)

   

Notice any similarities between the two performances?

2 comments:

lacochran's evil twin said...

I think Debbie does great here. Especially at 92.

Also, I love the fact that you list "Barnyard Dance" as what you're reading. :)

Sean said...

That's not fair, Lacochran. Debbie isn't a day over 65.!

Barnyard Dance is an especially good book though I've recently started reading grown-up books again. I just haven't updated the "What I'm Reading" portion of my blog.