Monday, May 02, 2011

Win Win Movie Review

On Saturday, we went on our first date night since our baby arrived. We planned on going to dinner followed by watching a movie, but what movie to see. I wasn’t interested in seeing a movie about watering elephants, animated birds or anything with Madea in the title. A friend recommended seeing Win Win, a movie that I had never heard of before the weekend. I saw that the film starred Paul Giamatti and Amy Ryan and scored a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes, so I figured it was worth a shot.


Here is the film’s premise from the aforementioned website:

Struggling attorney Mike Flaherty, who volunteers as a high-school wrestling coach, takes on the guardianship of an elderly client in a desperate attempt to keep his practice afloat. When the client's teenage grandson runs away from home and shows up on his grandfather's doorstep, Mike's life is turned upside down as his win-win proposition turns into something much more complicated than he ever bargained for.

The film also features Bobby Cannavale and Jeffrey Tambor for comic relief. Of course, you will then spend the rest of the movie trying to figure out where you know Cannavale. He sort of reminds me of Joey from Friends if he moved to the suburbs, didn’t hang out with Ross, Chandler and company anymore and completely moved on from his spin-off show, Joey. In reality, I remember Cannavale from the short-lived show, Cupid. Anyway, I’m getting a bit off topic. What the movie description fails to mention (and the trailer only shows briefly) is that Giamatti’s elderly client is Burt Young. Burt Young! You know Burt Young as Paulie from the Rocky series and as Rodney Dangerfield’s driver in Back to School. It was great seeing Young again, and I feel like the movie company should promote this more.



As for the movie itself, Win Win has plenty of funny moments to go with some serious parts. It’s a good story that will keep you entertained for two hours. Giamatti and Ryan are both terrific, and overall, the film features a great cast.

Two final thoughts:

1. I don’t think I’m very good at movie reviews.

2. It’s unlikely that I’ll see many movies over the next year or so. Therefore, I need to choose what I see wisely. I’m glad that we selected Win Win. Solid movie plus Burt Young.

No comments: