Thursday, August 26, 2010

Worst Song Ever Nominee

It’s been almost exactly three years since I asked whether "I Did Yo Boyfriend" by Melody was the worst song ever. I think the conclusion was yes. However, I am proud to present a challenger to the title, "Take It Off" by Ke$ha.



That last sentence really isn’t fair to Melody or Ke$ha since I Did Yo Boyfriend truly is in its own category. With that written, Ke$ha earns a nomination solely because of the song’s chorus. The chorus is based on the tune of “There’s a place in France where the naked women dance. There’s a hole in the wall where the men can see it all.” Seriously. Who thought that was a good idea?

I realize that I’m taking a risk here by criticizing one of the hottest young artists in Ke$ha. I fully expect some angry (likely anonymous) comments from Ke$ha fans. In full disclosure, I think her first song "Tik Tok" is amazing. Well, amazing may be too strong of a word, but it is extremely catchy and has some of the most quotable lines from any song over the past few years. (Like you haven’t said “Wake up in the morning feeling like P Diddy.”) Unfortunately, Take It Off doesn’t come close to Tik Tok.

I really wonder what Ke$ha does from here. She’s a party girl and that’s what she sings about. That’s nice for a few songs and maybe even an album, but you can’t make a career out of that, can you?

3 comments:

Gilahi said...

Two things: Electronics and good looks. If it weren't for these two things, you would have never heard of Ke$ha (aside from maybe some comments about what a stupid name that is). This is another terrific example of how MTV ruined popular music.

nick said...

I'm on the record as being pro-Ke$ha: http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/39599/keha-at-jiffy-lube-live-friday-august-20

Sean said...

Gilahi - MTV rarely shows videos anymore, so Kesha's success can't be attributed to that, though I do agree with you about MTV and videos changed popular music. With few exceptions, you have to be attractive to sell records.

Nick - It's fine being pro-Ke$ha but I noticed that your article didn't include Take It Off!