Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Random Question of the Day (Trivia Tuesday)

I mentioned on Sunday that I wouldn’t have much time to write this week, so I apologize for the abbreviated, though hopefully thought-provoking, edition of Trivia Tuesday.

1. Why do banks offer checking and savings accounts? Why not checkings accounts or saving accounts?

2. How many syllables do you use to say the word restaurant? I completely skip the second part of this word, so restaurant is only two syllables for me. Are there other words where you completely skip a syllable?

Although this really isn't a true Trivia Tuesday, please leave your answers in the comments section below. Um, good luck!

3 comments:

Nichole Fisher said...

1. Because saying checkings account just sounds funny. I think it's because checking refers to the action go of the use of the check. Savings is plural for the sum of the money that you have? Total stab in the dark there.

2. 3 syllables. I'm not one for skipping syllables :)

restaurant refugee said...

Also checkings account would be a grammatically incorrect as it is not an account in which multiple checkings are stored. Rather, it is an account on which multiple checks are drawn and thus, by definition, the type of account is checking. Multiple savings are stored in savings accounts hence the distinction... then the odds are pretty solid that I just made that up.

Sean said...

Nichole & RR - Both of those explanations make sense (even if they were made up). :)

I'm not sure why I say rest-raunt. That's the only word I can think of where I skip part of the word.