Friday, July 17, 2009

Pittsburgh Penguins and Ithaca College Bombers Schedules Released

Although the Wednesday after the baseball all-star game is the slowest day in the sports calendar, this year, it was one of my favorites. The reason: the 2009-2010 NHL schedule was released. I love seeing when the Penguins will travel to Washington to face the Capitals (Sunday, February 7 and Wednesday, March 24). Is this the year I finally join my friends in a trip to Tampa to see the Penguins (Saturday, January 2 and Sunday, March 14)? My close friend/hockey road trip companion and I scour the schedule to determine where and when this year’s trip will take place. We’re looking into a Phoenix-Denver adventure this year. He is also a New York Islanders fan, and for years, I have talked about visiting Nassau Coliseum to see the Penguins on Long Island (Saturday, October 3 – The Islanders home opener; Friday, November 27 – the day after Thanksgiving; and Sunday, April 11 – the final game of the regular season). Plus, I need to make it back to Pittsburgh to see a game at the Civic/Mellon Arena one last time.

The full Penguins schedule is available on the NHL website and the highlights are available courtesy of the Post-Gazette.

I also received an e-mail Wednesday announcing the 2009 Ithaca College Bombers football team’s schedule even though it appears to have been out for nearly a month. The highlight is obviously the annual Cortaca Jug game which will take place on November 14 at Butterfield Stadium. However, what really jumps out to me is that the Bombers will travel to Frostburg State on October 17. Although Frostburg is approximately a 2.5 hour drive from Washington, it’s also the closest any Ithaca College sports team has played to Washington in years (at least that I know of). Anyone want to go to Frostburg with me?

The Ithaca College Athletics website has the full 2009 football schedule.

No comments: