Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Steelers Game Moved To Yom Kippur

The NFL announced yesterday that the Steelers-Bengals game on Sunday, September 27 has been moved from 1:00 to 4:15 Eastern time. While this isn’t a big deal to most people, it is to me. You see, Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement and holiest day of the year, starts at sundown that Sunday and continues through sundown on Monday. Yom Kippur is a day of reflection and repentance and the only day of the year that I don’t go online, watch television or listen to music or the radio. The change in time means that I won’t be able to watch the game.

I certainly understand the NFL’s rationale for moving the game. The league initially scheduled the Titans-Jets game at 4:15 that day, which meant that the Jets would have home games during both Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. However, why move the Steelers-Bengals game? The league could have easily moved the Jaguars-Texans game. No one cares about those teams unless you have Jones-Drew or Andre Johnson on your fantasy team! Actually, less people care about the Bengals.

I was much more worked up about this until I read the following comment from ppdoc on Profootballtalk.com:

@imabananaman1 - sorry dude. i am an observant Jew and while it is a real bummer when the Ravens play on a holiday there is no question about what to do. Football is football. It is fun. It is interesting. It is a game. The Ravens play at 1 pm and the game will be over prior to Yom Kippur starting and I still can’t go. Why? It is the most holy and awesome day of the year. It is not the type of time that you come into by being wild at a football game for 3 hours and then thinking about all of the things you did the previous year that you regret.

It is an easy answer. DVR the game and sell you tickets. If you don’t want to do that, you have the option to go to the game. If that makes you feel queasy on the inside - good. It should. In the grand scheme of things drinking a beer and screaming for you team doesn’t measure up to one of the Days of Awe.

At least that is my opinion. As Jews you choose to have expensive tix to the games. You choose whether to listen to your conscious or listen to your evil inclination. If that creates spiritual turmoil, then you should spend the time and think hard about what is really important. If it is football, then so be it. But don’t speak for all Jewish people. It is a 30 second bummer for me and then its over. FYI - I never miss games unless it is a Sabbath or a holiday. I travel every year to see my team. I used to drive 6 hours every Sunday am up from Ft. Bragg to go to the games. So I think I qualify as a fanatic.


That is very well put except for the fact that ppdoc is a Ravens fan. That just about ruins his argument.

Anyway, I’m still not happy about this but there’s nothing I can do. I’m sure I’ll write something similar in September, but I ask that no one tells me about the Steelers game during Yom Kippur.* I’ll find a way to record the game and watch it later even though it is doubtful the game will air in the DC area.

Maybe I’ll just spend Yom Kippur in San Diego. That way sundown will begin after the game ends!

h/t One for the Other Thumb


* I’m sure you’re going to remember this five months from now!

No comments: