Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Spice Girls Tickets

I am a Spice Girls fan. Feel free to mock and ridicule me. When the Spice Girls debuted in the United States in early 1997, they were unlike anything else on the music scene. Here were five attractive women, each with a memorable nickname, singing about girl power while dressed somewhat scantily. “Wannabe” was and still is an extremely catchy song, even though to this day, I have no idea what a “zigazig ha” means. Plus, all guys have to love the line, “If you wanna be my lover, you gotta get with my friends.” Sounds good to me. A friend of mine even bought me the Spice Girls tape as a gift (it was 1997 and I still didn’t have a CD player; I’m always a bit behind on technology). Despite the fact that some of the Spice Girls really don’t sing very well, they managed to have hit after hit anyway.

As you probably know at this point, the Spice Girls have reunited. There was great celebration throughout the land, specifically in the UK as they are performing 17 shows in December and January in London’s O2 Arena. I recently learned that the Spice Girls are coming to the Verizon Center in DC on February 21, 2008. If tickets were reasonable, I figured that it might be fun to attend. Of course, finding someone to go with me would be a challenge. Unfortunately, this is all a moo point. (“It's like a cow's opinion. It just doesn't matter.”)

I went to the Ticketmaster website yesterday and found that two tickets in Section 418, Row J are $92.50 each. Ticketmaster also charges a “convenience charge” of $17.45 per ticket and an order processing charge of $4.90. Fortunately, there is no charge if the tickets are sent through Standard Mail. What a bargain! How nice of Ticketmaster to cover the 41 cents to mail the tickets. Anyway, the total charge for two tickets (and not even good tickets) = $224.80!! I think I was willing to spend $25 per ticket. That is just about the cost of the Ticketmaster fees alone. Are there really people out there willing to spend that much to see the Spice Girls? Maybe I'll try to catch them when they reunite again in another ten years.

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Keep an eye out for tickets on Craig's List or eBay. You can often get a deal there if they are not too much in demand.

$20 per ticket via Ticketbastard is absolutely stupid.

P.s. I have a secret thing for the Spice Girls, too.

Mystery Man said...

I love the spice girls, but this is crazy. If you wait 10 years they may be at the statefair for free. Maybe even celebrate fairfax.

Nick said...

Sean, you're in good company. I also LOVE the Spice Girls. The first two albums, at least. I didn't bother with 'em after Geri dropped out. Sporty Spice = my favorite.

Uhhhh, those ticket prices are loony, though.

Sean said...

Sarah - I don't see ticket prices dropping much on eBay or Craig's List. While the tickets won't go as high as tickets for Hannah Montana, they will probably stay around $100 per ticket.

Nick - If I am able to get tickets, I'll call you to see if you want to go with me.

Anonymous said...

A lot of fans are saying the concerts are really awesome:

http://dancingbrave.typepad.com/db/

http://ultratart.typepad.com/ultratart/

Anonymous said...

really!!?? i mean i'd love to play doctor with them but, their music? really!?

Archi said...

As Sarah said, watch Ebay. But particularly watch the day of the concert. Sometimes ticket brokers have some leftovers. I got Bon Jovi tickets four hours before the show (they e-mail you a barcoded 'ticket' that gets you in) for below sticker price, and it was a pretty full house.

Not to say it's the same demand. But it's worth a shot.

Anonymous said...

Jesus Christ, Sean. I hope you enjoyed your run on my blogroll.

Sean said...

Arjewtino - If I remember correctly, you watch Beauty and the Geek and wear a fanny pack. All I wrote was that I like a few of the Spice Girls songs and that it would be interesting to go to the concert.

If David Beckham happens to read this and wants to give me box tickets to a Galaxy or England game or even free tickets to the concert, all the better!

Anonymous said...

I think I can safely say that the Spice Girls will never perform at Celebrate Fairfax!

Sean said...

Thanks Tiffany. While I think that the Spice Girls would do extremely well at Celebrate Fairfax, the budget would be astronomical. My guess is that the Spice Girls charge at least $500,000 per show.