Wednesday, August 08, 2007

All About the Steelers

I have not written about the Steelers for some time, so I wanted to share my thoughts about the preseason and the new mascot. As all Steelers fans already know, the team won their first preseason game on Sunday night against the New Orleans Saints. woo-hoo. I seriously could care less about preseason games. My only hopes for a typical preseason is that the first team plays decently in the few series they are actually in the game and, more importantly, that no one gets hurt.

This year is a little different since Mike Tomlin is in his first year as a head coach, so I care that he’s getting “game” experience in that position. However, I still vividly remember Steve Spurrier’s debut as the head coach for the Washington Redskins. The team was very impressive in his first preseason going undefeated. Over the next two seasons, the Redskins went 12-20 and the "ball coach" returned to the SEC. While I truly believe that Tomlin will have much more success as an NFL head coach than Spurrier, this just goes to show that the preseason means little. Therefore, I’m done writing about it...except for this:

The Washington Redskins are promoting a “Preseason Special Package” for the August 18th game against the Steelers. Here’s the details:

Purchase the Preseason Special Package and receive the following for only $499.00...over a 50% savings:
• Two (2) Prime Sideline Seats
Enjoy the best sightlines in the stadium plus access to the club level concourse where you find wonderful amenities including hundreds of flat screen TVs, two sports bars, Club Macanudo - Washington's largest cigar lounge, Hooters, Johnny Rockets, Phillips Seafood & much more.

• Two (2) Tailgate Club Passes
o Opens three (3) hours prior to the game
o An all-you-can-eat BBQ
o Meet & greets by Redskins Alumni and Cheerleaders
o Receive a complimentary Redskins Yearbook
o Games for all ages

• One (1) on-site Parking Pass
o Park close to the stadium and be a few steps away from FedExField

If you're interested in this wonderful opportunity to spend $500 to watch back-ups and practice squad players for three quarters, call (301) 276-6800 and order the Preseason Special Package today!


Finally, the Steelers announced the name of the new mascot. I already wrote about this atrocity when the mascot was revealed suggesting “Unnecessary” as the name. Instead, the mascot will be called Steely McBeam.

I hope I'm the first person to give Steelers rookie defensive end Ryan McBean the nickname Steely McBean!

6 comments:

Beakerz said...

and if you're interested in 2 tickets and a green parking pass for NOT 500 bux, give me a holla.

Andy said...

As for the mascot name, Silly McDumb is more like it...

Rinsem's Rink said...

The mascot is a complete joke and I can't believe they went through with this... Steely McBeam? Really???

Anonymous said...

sean- did you see the post poll on-line? like 80% voted that the steelers don't need a mascot.

but i must disagree with you on the pre-season. i feel it's extremely important, but 5 games is plain silly. but when you have to cut 30 plus players from your roster...

and you beat me to ryan mcbean!

Sean said...

Jason, I guess I agree with you that the coaches need to have a mechanism to cut players. However, 4 or 5 preseason games are just as silly as have a mascot named Steely McBeam. Preseason games are all about money for owners to get two more home games for season ticket holders to pay for.

Andy - I like Silly McDumb. I may use that all season!

Beakerz - I may be interested in the preseason tix.

breatnyS said...

I guess I agree with you that the coaches need to have a mechanism to cut players.Steelers tickets However, 4 or 5 preseason games are just as silly as have a mascot named Steely McBeam. Preseason games are all about money for owners to get two more home games for season ticket holders to pay for.

Andy - I like Silly McDumb. I may use that all season!