Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Tenacious D Review

You have all been waiting for it, so here's the review of the Tenacious D concert from Sunday night at The Patriot Center on the campus of George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia. Fortunately, The Washington Post was kind enough to do the review for me. Wait, you wanted to know what I thought of the concert? OK.

First off, parental discretion is advised for the lyrics of many Tenacious D songs. I generally prefer my music more PG-13. As for the performance, it was more of a rock opera than a concert. There was never a "How Are You Washington?" question (until the encore) or any interaction with the audience by Jack Black and Kyle Gass. The dialogue was exactly from the CD or to set up to the next song. This wasn't necessarily a bad thing; I just don't recall ever seeing this at a concert before. The first set featured JB and KG playing acoustically while the second half included a full band. The band was really, really good!. The Post mentioned this already, but probably my favorite part of the show was D's brief cover of "Pinball Wizard." I was disappointed that D didn't play "Pick of Destiny." Because of the movie commercials and video on VH1, this is probably the song best known by casual D fans.

Overall, I enjoyed the show more than I expected (I should have prefaced this by saying that I had low expectations since I knew only a few songs). If I had to rate the show on a scale of 1 (Norm McDonald at Ithaca College in '95 or '96) to 5 (Rolling Stones and Santana in San Diego in 1999; Adam Sandler at IC in '93), I'll give Tenacious D a 3.3.

No comments: