Wednesday, September 27, 2006

TV Review

Since I write about TV so much, I thought I would share my thoughts on some of the new shows this season.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
I liked Sports Night and the first few seasons of West Wing, so naturally, I like Studio 60 too. Matthew Perry is extremely underrated as a comedic actor, so it’s nice seeing him in a role other than Chandler.

Shark
After Grey’s Anatomy last Thursday, I had a choice between Shark and Six Degrees. I’m a fan of James Woods, so I thought I would give Shark a shot. Woods is perfect as an arrogant trial lawyer. While I’m not sure how often I’ll watch it, I recommend Shark especially since it seems like the type of show where you won’t be lost if you miss an episode (unlike many new shows this season).

Smith
I’ll always like Ray Liotta for being Shoeless Joe Jackson in Field of Dreams, one of the greatest movies of all-time. The combination of Liotta and the first episode being partially filmed in Pittsburgh made Smith a must-watch. While I didn’t think it was as bad Sarah thought it was, it wasn’t great. I thought I would give the second episode a try last night and again was under whelmed. Here’s my problem with the show. Liotta leads a group of thieves which includes Amy Smart. You want to root for the bad guys, but the show doesn’t let you. In the first episode, Smart tazered a random woman who thought she looked familiar and the group killed a security guard and possibly some other people (I think this happened but I was on the phone for a few minutes). Last night, Smart and two other guys pulled off a major theft of computer files. Yeah, like I’m going to root for people who pull off a major identity theft.

Conversely, you root for the guys on Prison Break (except for T-Bag, but at least he’s an intriguing character) because they all have redeeming values or were incorrectly imprisoned. While Prison Break is still great, I have no idea how long this show can continue.

Flavor of Love
Not a new show, but I thought I would mention it. I didn’t think the first season could be topped but the second is definitely making a nice run. I actually haven’t watched Flavor of Love much this season, but caught a repeat last night. New York is back. Oh last night, Flavor kicked out a girl because she’s a “pole dancer” and he couldn’t bring her back to meet his kids. I’m sure that his kids are very proud of their dad over the past few years.

No comments: