Sunday, July 09, 2006

Final World Cup Post

I take back what I wrote comparing Zidane and Mark Messier. I don't remember Messier ever taking his stick and swinging it like a baseball bat to hit an opposing player during the Stanley Cup playoffs. (For the hockey fans out there, please correct me if I'm wrong.) The story of today's game isn't that Italy won; it is Zidane's head butt to the Italian player's chest. Zidane's actions were not as fierce as Kermit Washington's punch of Rudy Tomjanovich (NBA) or Todd Bertuzzi's punch/assault of Steve Moore (NHL). It was just done on the world's biggest stage at a crucial point of the game in Zidane's last game of his international career. For non-soccer fans out there, this would be the equivalency of pre-comback Michael Jordan punching an opposing player in Game 7 of the NBA Finals in his last game. Unbelievable!

Congratulations to Scott for winning the ESPN World Cup Pick'Em. I finished in last out of nine. Thanks to everyone who participated!

No comments: