Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Yes, Even More on the Super Bowl

I really will change topics soon. In the comments section of yesterday's post, Messiah wrote, "It's just unclassy for Holmgren to not only refuse to shake hands but also to say "We knew it was going to be tough playing against the Steelers, but I didn't know we were going to have to take on the guys in the striped shirts, too." Holmgren said this during a Seahawks rally in Seattle yesterday, almost a full day after the Super Bowl ended. This means that he had plenty of time to think about and analyze the game. Maybe (hopefully) he was just saying to get crowd support. Maybe he is trying to distract Seattle fans from the horrible job he did coaching. Gene Wojciechowski of ESPN shared many of my thoughts about the game on ESPN.com. Anyway, I'm tired of Holmgren and am not going to talk about him anymore. Holmgren should go join his wife and daughter on their medical mission in the Congo. At least he will be doing some good there and will be out of the news.

Finally, I have heard some mixed reviews about the Rolling Stones performing at halftime. The consensus has been that someone younger should have performed. Stevie Wonder or Bruce Springsteen would have been good, although neither is that much younger than the Stones. So my question to anyone out there is who would be your Super Bowl halftime choice to perform assuming that they would have performed this year in the post-Janet Jackson entertainment world?

5 comments:

Messiah said...

I would've loved an all-Detroit mix: a few solo minutes each for Aretha, Stevie Wonder, Kid Rock, and Eminem. Then they all get together at the end to sing a multi-genre version of "Where Is the Love" by the Black Eyed Peas and "Livin' in America" by James Brown.

Andy said...

I agree with Messiah - should have been a Motown (or Detroit-themed) tribute. Failing that, I would have preferred an AMERICAN act such as Bruce Springsteen or Bon Jovi (yes, we discussed this in person on Sunday). IMO, it's not the age factor that gets me, it's the lack of patriotism and pride in our own culture's contribution to rock n' roll. Why have the last two halftime shows featured Brits?

Anonymous said...

I agree with Messiah and Andy--bring back the American music! I think the networks and NFL are trying to be "safe" with older groups/people (last year it was Paul McCartney--who is way past his prime, in my opinion), thinking that there will not be any wardrobe malfunctions...I would love to see Bon Jovi or another great band. I am always skeptical of the big get together numbers, however--remember Aerosmith, N'SYNC, and Brittany Spears with "Walk This Way"? Not pretty...

Anonymous said...

Here's a link to an article that clears up the Holmgren/Cowher mystery, courtesy of Paige for Paige:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5315936

Sean said...

I actually liked the performance of Aerosmith, N Sync, Nelly, Britney and Mary J. Blige. A medley of Detroit area musicians would have been cool.

Sarah, thanks for clearing up the handshake confusion. I still think that Holmgren is a poor sport.