Monday, August 22, 2005

Steelers Fans

As everyone who has ever met me knows, I am a Pittsburgh Steelers fan. I think it is a requirement that anyone who is born in Pittsburgh must be a fan. Anyone who is from Pittsburgh and has a relative in/from Pittsburgh is also a fan. I hope you won't mind the numerous Steelers posts that will be here over the next few months. Anyway, since the Steelers dynasty of the 1970s, the team has been good most years (I've tried to block out the Mark Malone days), even great in some years. However, the team has only made one Super Bowl appearance, which it lost. I think it is fair to say that Steelers fans are now, and probably have been, worriers. Instead of focusing on the positive, we worry about what is going to go wrong. We have become Red Sox fans prior to last year's World Series. Case in point is the top story in the Sports section of today's Post-Gazette. The headline reads "Is Something Wrong With Big Ben?" Granted the top of the article itself is "Steelers not overly concerned with Roethlisberger's struggle." The implication is that other people (fans and media) are concerned with Big Ben. Before last Monday, we were worried about the Steelers chances because Hines Ward was holding out. We have to worry about something regarding the team.

Am I wrong on this?

No comments: