Monday, July 11, 2016

Blame It On Spain

On Sunday, Portugal defeated France to win the 2016 European Championship. This was Portugal's first major soccer championship in arguably the sport's second biggest event following the World Cup. So to celebrate, let's listen to some Milli Vanilli!



You're probably wondering, um, Sean, what does Milli Vanilli have to do with Portugal? Fab Morvan was born in France and the late Rob Pilatus was German. Well, allow me to explain. There are times, particularly in my younger days, where I made up lyrics to songs. I don't remember most of them, but Blame It On The Rain is one that has stayed with me for about 25 years. Actually, I only remember (or made up) a few lines. Here's the Milli Vanilli version:

Blame it on the rain yeah yeah.
Blame it on the stars
That did shine that night
Whatever you do, don't put the blame on you
Blame it on the rain yeah yeah.


And my version:

Blame it on Spain yeah, yeah
Blame it on the stars, the big shots at night.
(I actually thought this was the lyric.)
Whatever you do, don't put the blame on Portugal
Blame it on Spain yeah yeah.


So in honor of not blaming Portugal all these years, I'm happy for the country which will probably celebrate winning Euro 2016 for a long time.


Photo by Lars Baron, Getty Images

No comments: