Friday, March 11, 2016

Random Ramblings

- On Tuesday evening, I received the following text:

FREE MSG: Chase Fraud-Did you use card ending #### for $1397.94 at a computer hard/software co. on 03/08? If YES reply 1, NO reply 2

I thought this was a spam text but they got the last four numbers of my credit card correct, so I figured that I would call my credit card company. Sure enough, this was not spam. Someone tried to use my credit card and fortunately was denied. I have no idea how someone got my credit card number, particularly since this is one I rarely use. Other than an $8 purchase that same day at Safeway and paying $10 for a visit to a doctor's office on Monday, 3/7, I hadn't used the credit card in weeks. My last bill for this credit card was less than $50. Anyway, I paid a $10 balance to a doctor's office/walk-in clinic on Monday by phone, and my theory is that someone there used the number. I have no proof to substantiate this, but that's my theory. Anyway, good job Chase on taking care of this immediately. Chase is on the case!


- Pizza Hut is giving away free pizza for a year on Monday, 3/14 for Pi Day.

In partnership with acclaimed mathematical genius John H. Conway, distinguished professor of pure and applied mathematics emeritus, Princeton University, and in honor of "National Pi Day" on March 14, Pizza Hut will release three math problems on its Hut Life blog (blog.pizzahut.com) with a unique challenge to consumers and mathematic wizards everywhere: be the first person to solve and submit the correct answer to any one of the problems for a chance to receive 3.14 years of free pizza from Pizza Hut. Varying in level of difficulty from high school to PhD level, all three problems will be released at 8 a.m. ET.

I'm going to have little (okay no) chance of successfully answering these math questions. It would be much easier if I could just be one of the first people in line at a Pizza Hut restaurant like I did for California Tortilla and Corner Bakery.

- I suggest checking out these two articles/videos from Yahoo and Serious Eats about Pittsburgh. Makes me nostalgic to visit my hometown.

- I'm working my first games of the spring season as a soccer referee over the weekend. Let's see how out of shape I am after doing no exercise (other than occasionally sprinting for the bus) over the last 3+ months.

- Joe Grushecky and The Houserockers are performing at Jammin' Java in nearby Vienna, Virginia on Saturday. I'm sorry Pittsburgh's Own Joe Grushecky and The Houserockers are performing in nearby Vienna, Virginia on Saturday. Not sure why Joe needs Pittsburgh's Own in front of his name. Does that help sell more tickets? Actually, maybe I can have Joe help me with my Pittsburgh Festival in DC idea!

- Finally, if you haven't already seen it, please check out my interview with the Pittsburgh Penguins' Gamenight DJ from earlier this week.

Have a nice weekend!

No comments: