Wednesday, April 08, 2015

Joining the 21st Century

Last week, I bought my first smartphone becoming the one of the last people between 21 and 40 to get one and probably THE LAST person with both a blog and active Twitter account that didn't have one. I'm still trying to figure out how to use this thing though. For example, I tried turning off the phone by pressing the round button at the bottom but instead activated Siri. My first questions to Siri were how do I turn off the phone and do you cost extra to use but neither question was answered to my satisfaction. Of course Siri has been helpful since then. Last night while making a trip to Wegmans for I believe the 4th time in 5 days, I asked her the score of the Penguins game. At first she replied 3-0 Pens but later answered 3-1 and 3-2. The Pens ended up losing in overtime to Ottawa, so I'm going to blame Siri for this. Meanwhile the phone also has an app (or preprogrammed thing) where I can track my steps. This seems to make much more sense then buying a Fitbit, but I need to carry the phone at all times to track this information. It looks like the smartphone already won a this battle

While getting a smartphone may or may not be one giant leap for mankind, I think I am still behind the times in a lot of ways. Here are some examples:

- I don't have an Instagram account.

- I have never been on Reddit.

- I have never used Uber.

- I don't have Netflix and if I did I would watch movies and shows by getting the DVDs in the mail.

- I have no idea how to watch new episodes of Community on Yahoo. Granted I haven't looked yet.

- I don't get the obsession with Mad Men. I watched the first 9 or 10 episodes, and while I thought the acting was great and the setting/period was really well done, I was bored.

- I have never seen a movie with Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt, Chris Evans or Chris Pine. Actually, I think Chris Pratt was in Moneyball, so just the other three.

Overall, at least I'm doing better than five years ago!

Your turn to share/confess.

No comments: