Thursday, August 19, 2010

Found In My Basement: Jim Rooker

Now that's a scary title for a post! Jim Rooker was a major league pitcher from 1968-1980 with his final eight seasons on the Pittsburgh Pirates where he helped the team win the 1979 World Series. Rooker finished his career with a 103-109 record and transitioned into the Pittsburgh Pirates broadcast booth. Rooker's most famous moment occurred in 1989 when he stated after the Pirates took a 10-0 lead in the top of the first inning against the Philadelphia Phillies that "if we lose this game, I'll walk home." Naturally, the Pirates lost and Rooker did walk from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh for charity.

Several years earlier, though, he visited Churchill Elementary School. Actually, I don't remember if he visited my elementary school, but somehow, I have this autograph addressed to me and my classmates.



(To Churchill 1st Graders. Best Wishes "The Rook")

I love the moustache and chest hair look. Plus, did Rooker really refer to himself as The Rook?


Click here for more about the Found in My Basement series.

No comments: