Friday, April 04, 2008

Steelers Gear in Seattle

My Seattle vacation is only days away, but I have not started packing for the trip. However, after reading this article from last week, I may not bring any Steelers gear:

A 24-year-old South Kitsap man — and self-proclaimed Seattle Seahawks fan — was arrested Sunday for allegedly spitting on the hamburger he prepared for a man wearing Pittsburgh Steelers attire, according to Kitsap County Sheriff's Office reports.

Deputies said the 37-year-old man in Steelers garb took his daughters to a Mile Hill Drive fast food restaurant Saturday evening, and "began trading friendly barbs about his team and their victory over the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XL," reports said.

One employee told the man that he'd "better not say that to the guy that's making your food," but the man thought it was a joke, reports said.

That is, until he opened his "clamshell-style" hamburger container and discovered what he called a "loogie" on his hamburger.

The 37-year-old told his daughters to stop eating, demanded a refund and called the restaurant's district manager.

A deputy was informed by the manager that the person responsible may be a 24-year-old South Kitsap man who was near his quitting time when the incident occurred. He also failed to show up for work the next day, the manager said.

The deputy went to the 24-year-old's house, and when he knocked on the door, a voice from inside yelled that he "wasn't buying any ... girl scout cookies," the deputy said.

The deputy told him, "I won't sell you any," and when the man opened the door, the deputy "was immediately confronted with the strong odor of burnt marijuana."

Eventually, the man brought the deputy a bag of marijuana and he was arrested. The man also confessed to spitting in the 37-year-old's hamburger container to "gross him out ... because he was a Steelers fan," deputies said.

He was booked into the Kitsap County jail for fourth-degree assault and possession of marijuana and released.


While I know that the former chef is extreme in his actions against a Steeler fan, I think we have already established that the majority of Seahawks fans do not like the Steelers. It has been more than two years since the Steelers-Seahawks Super Bowl. It’s OK to move on! However, just to be sure, if people ask me where I am from during the trip, I may have to say Washington DC since that's where I currently live.

I may try to post something while I’m away but I’m not making any promises. Much of my time during the trip may be spent trying to figure out how to use my new digital camera. In the meantime, check out some great sites linked on the right and try the quizzes and games that I wrote about yesterday.

1 comment:

Heroic Autobot said...

I live in Seattle but grew up near Pittsburgh (Morgantown, WV) and I've actually seen quite a few people wearing Steelers shirts the last few days. I think I notice it more than most people because I used to see it all the time growing up, but it's rare to see it out here.

I don't know if it's a sign of solidarity for the guy in the article, or it's just coincidence, but I think you'll actually be okay wearing a Steelers jersey in Seattle.