Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Notes From the Denver Airport

Does the Denver airport realize that the Colorado Rockies are in the World Series? Based on my observations today, the answer is clearly no. While I did see about a dozen people wearing Rockies hats or shirts, I was shocked to find newsstands and other stores not only failing to sell National League Champion merchandise but also not selling ANY Rockies merchandise. If the Pittsburgh Pirates ever made the World Series, stores in the Pittsburgh airport would certainly sell Pirates gear. When the Steelers made and then won the Super Bowl in 2006, nearly every store in the airport sold Steelers merchandise or in the very least had black and gold decorations.

I couldn't take it anymore, so I went into a newsstand and asked if they sold any Rockies memorabilia. They directed me to a sports store across the concourse. I found the store, and the first thing I saw when I walked in was hats: Nuggets, Broncos, Colorado University, Avalanche, Colorado State University and Rockies hats. There was plenty of Rockies gear in the store but no more and possibly less than Broncos and Nuggets merchandise. I did found two types of "Rocktober" T-shirts, but they were all the way in the back of the store. That was it. In case you are wondering, I was in this sports store at 11:45 am Mountain time, so they had plenty of time to have NL Championship shirts or signs.

My only other comment about the Denver airport is a suggestion to the guy next to me at a McDonalds line. Did you really need to use a $100 bill to buy a Quarter Pounder?

2 comments:

honeykbee said...

I'd like to think that maybe there's just so much else going on in Denver that they don't have time to subscribe to their local major league sports affairs, but I'll be able to validate that in person when I fly out there this spring for my dingbat cousin's wedding (a Friday afternoon affair when all of your family lives on the east coast?! Maybe they should spend more time watching baseball in Denver and less time contemplating their own navels).

< end bitter>

Sean said...

On my way back through Denver airport on Thursday, I did see a newsstand with Rockies' NL Championship T-shirts. I had to rush to catch my flight (which ended up being delayed anyway), so I wasn't able to search the entire airport.

Honeykbee - If it helps, Denver is a beautiful city with views of mountains everywhere. Plus, the lower downtown area (LoDo) is a cool area with bars, restaurants and shops.