Friday, August 31, 2007

Fantasy Football Draft Recaps

I know that no one cares about other people’s fantasy football teams, but I’m posting the results of my drafts anyway.

League #1 - 10 teams; #10 pick in a serpentine draft:

QB Donovan McNabb (Round 5, #50 pick overall)
RB Brian Westbrook (1, 10)
RB Rudi Johnson (2, 11)
Flex Carnell “Cadillac” Williams (6, 51)
WR Torry Holt (3, 30)
WR Reggie Wayne (4, 31)
TE Kellen Winslow (7, 70)
DEF Miami Dolphins (11, 110)
K Josh Scobee (16, 151)

Bench
RB Fred Taylor (8, 71)
WR Jericho Cotchery (9, 90)
WR Vincent Jackson (10, 91)
QB Eli Manning (12, 111)
WR D.J. Hackett (13, 130)
WR Reuben Droughns (14, 131)
TE Tony Scheffler (15, 150)

I really like this team, assuming that McNabb stays healthy and Holt’s knee is OK. If not, I have terrific depth at the wide receiver position, so I may be able to upgrade my team later in the season through a trade.

League #2 – 16 teams; #15 pick in a serpentine draft:

QB Eli Manning (6, 82)
RB Brian Westbrook (1, 15)
RB Willis McGahee (2, 18)
Flex LaMont Jordan (5, 79)
WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh (3, 47)
WR Greg Jennings (7, 111)
TE Tony Gonzalez (4, 50)
DEF Minnesota Vikings (11, 175)
K Mike Nugent (15, 239)

Bench:
WR D.J. Hackett (8, 114)
WR Drew Bennett (9, 143)
QB Jake Delhomme (10, 146)
WR Derrick Mason (12, 178)
TE David Martin (13, 207)
RB Brian Leonard (14, 210)

I don’t like this team nearly as much. This is my fifth year in this league, and 16 teams are just insane. Part-way through the middle rounds, you see names that you don’t recognize. There is very little depth, especially at the QB and RB positions. Plus, waiting 29 spots before my next pick is painful. Quarterbacks go way too early in this league, so when I drafted Eli Manning, he really was the best QB available. I also selected Tony Gonzalez much sooner than I would in other leagues since there are receiving bonuses for tight ends at 50 yards receiving and a point per catch for wide receivers and tight ends. Overall, I am really relying on Brian Westbrook this season.

I was also invited to participate in a 14-team fantasy league through Mondesi’s House, but I won’t post my team here. (The draft took place last night; I did not have the #2 pick, which "Raul" mentioned in today's post.) Any regular reader of that site may find it funny that my first week match is against Adam, the Penn State fan. I really want to win, even though I've established that I can never win an argument with him.

My final draft for a league run by Pav at Scribbled Noise takes place over the weekend. I think I need to auto-draft that one.

For those of you who have made it this far, thank you. I’ll try not to write too much about my fantasy football teams over the next few months. I will, however, post my television death pool picks over the next few days.

1 comment:

Burnt Couch said...

look like decent picks.