Sunday, December 10, 2006

Peyton Manning = Prima Donna

Peyton Manning caused a major delay for all flights in and out of Jacksonville, Florida on Sunday! Here’s what happened:

I was in the Jacksonville airport yesterday not long after the Jaguars-Colts game. Dan Reeves was actually in the security line, though I’m not sure what is connection is with either team. Anyway, when we arrived at our gate all the way in essentially the airport basement, there was a secured section where we saw dozens of people going through. I went up to a guy wearing a Colts jersey and asked him if that was the team.

Guy: The players’ bus already arrived. These are the team doctors. Peyton Manning’s over there eating dinner.
Me (trying to be funny): Is he filming a new commercial?
Guy: Not after today’s game (the Colts lost 44-17).

Sure enough, Peyton Manning was standing by the monster Northwest airplane eating and talking to someone who I assume works for the Colts. No other players were in sight since they had already boarded the plane. A few minutes passed and all of the Colts staff had boarded the plane, but Peyton was still talking on the tarmac. Finally, Peyton walked towards a dumpster, threw away his bag about 30 feet away from me (but on the other side of the window) and then boarded the plane. For anyone wondering, I think he was eating Popeye’s.

Therefore, Peyton Manning caused a major delay for all flights in and out of Jacksonville by eating on the tarmac while his teammates and coaches were on the plane. The flight attendants, trying to get him on the plane, were furious when he started chanting “cut that meat” over and over again! OK, the entire thing about Peyton causing a delay or using catch-phrases from his commercials is a bit of a stretch (and not at all true). However, he really was eating while everyone else had already boarded the plane.

As I’m typing this, I keep thinking about the classic hit “Rumors” by Timex Social Club:

Look at all these rumors surroundin' me every day
I just need some time, some time to get away from
From all these rumors, I can't take it no more
My best friend said there's one out now about me and the girl next door

Maybe I’m just really tired.

2 comments:

Ar-Jew-Tino said...

I'm sure Popeye's will be calling him anyday now to sign him up as an endorser. Is there any product Manning WON'T endorse?

honeykbee said...

I say let him endorse absolutely everything. Rather see him do it then ever ever for the rest of my entire life see another Eastern Motors commercial.