Monday, October 24, 2005

Weekend in Ohio

Anytime the Steelers win, especially when I'm there, is a great day/weekend. I go to maybe one game a year, and I don't think the Steelers have lost any game that I've been to since the AFC Championship game against the Chargers ten years ago (but I don't want to talk about that).

On to the main event...we were at Waffle House by 7:00am and after several car problems, made it to the tailgate around 10:00, a little later than usual. There were fewer Steelers fans in the tailgate and in the stadium this year than in years past mostly due to there being more Bengals fans. It was great seeing so many "die-hard" Bengals fans. Actually, there was a good deal of real Bengals fans. (I actually think people yelling "Who Dey" is very funny. I'm not sure of the origin, but it stands for "Who Dey, think is gonna beat Dem Bengals," and is also the name of the mascot.) They were especially loud just before kick-off and in the first quarter. Of course, they were not as loud in the fourth quarter where many fans celebrated Halloween early by dressing up as empty green seats.

My favorite moment was walking back to the cars after the game. Even though the Bengals were totally dominated in the second half, the fans couldn't admit defeat. They kept bragging about being in first place. Apparently, Carson Palmer and T.J. Houshmandzadeh feel the same way. On ESPN.com, T.J. said, "I think we're better than them. They won the game and I'm sure they feel like they're better than us, but I don't feel like it." The Bengals really went out and proved it.

Anyway, the weekend was great. I got to see my brother and some good friends, some of whom I haven't seen in over a year. The only downside of the entire weekend was sitting in the middle of a backseat of a small car between two guys weighing a combined 450 pounds and both snoring. That part wasn't so fun.

My annual trip to Columbus and then going to the Cincinnati for the Bengals-Steelers game really has become one of my favorite times of the year. While there was nothing of the scope of being part of an Ohio State-Michigan tailgate or being in the bar for the Pistons/Pacers brawl, it was still a fantastic weekend. Next year in Cincy.

Oh and Who Dey think is gonna beat Dem Bengals? The Steelers!

No comments: